The Kenya coast is dotted with some really fantastic spots up and down its shores, with the notably brilliant Lamu Island on the doorstep. There are lots of fabulous accommodation options to choose from, and we know the best spots for brilliantly white beaches, vibrant East African culture or activities for the ocean adventurers out there…
Kenya Coast, Beaches & Islands
1. Lamu’s culture is a real draw for the island; with the hustle bustle of harbour life, markets for days and friendly welcoming locals, you cannot go wrong here. After being banned by the tourism office, since it’s reopening, the fantastic lodges dotted around the island are really keen to embrace their once thriving tourism industry again… Now is definitely the time to go!
2. Also in Lamu, because of the ban, the beaches which were always white and glorious are now really very peaceful… A real bonus for those beach purists seeking tranquillity and relaxation.
3. The Kenyan Coast, as well as Lamu, has utterly beautiful stretches of beaches and is, to put it exactly, cheap as chips. Nowhere else in Africa will you get such value for money on your Indian Ocean getaway.
4. Kenya coastline is so unbelievably combinable with a safari..! From either Tanzania or Kenya, only a short flight and maybe even less than an hour in the air, and you are sipping Mojitos on white sands soaking in the African sun.
5. On the subject of sun, the brits out there will be pleased to know that Kenya is also such a fantastic winter sun location! Why not?