Namibia is a stunning country quite unlike any other destination, either in Africa or elsewhere. With the oldest desert on earth and the largest sand dunes in the world, Namibia's scenery is absolutely mind-blowing, and this is the country's main draw. However, Namibia does have populations of the world's only desert elephant and desert rhino (both species uniquely adapted to survival in the inhospitable desert), so a Namibia Holiday also offers a unique game viewing experience.
OUR TOP EXPERIENCES
Swakopmund adrenaline adventures
OUR TOP LODGES
- Damaraland Camp -
- Desert Rhino Camp -
- Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp -
- Serra Cafema -
Our top 5 reasons to take a Namibia holiday
1. The reasons to visit Namibia start and end with its magnificent (and magnificently varied) scenery. This is a photographer’s paradise.
2. One of the most remarkable existences on earth has been carved out by the Himba tribe of Namibia. Living with very little water, they have adapted by bathing in smoke and caking their skin to retain water. A visit to the Himba is an unparalleled cultural experience.
3. Namibia’s vast expanse offers a great variety of landscape and experiences – from the famous red sand dunes of Sossusvlei, to the wild and haunting skeleton coast, and the dense green bush (and rich wildlife) of Etosha National Park.
4. There are few places in the world today that retain such a remote, untouched environment as Namibia. In a country 4x the size of England but with a population of only 1.2 million, if you’re after absolute isolation, you can find it here!
5. In addition to the dramatic landscapes for which it is so famous, Namibia also offers a good range of adrenaline sports (Swakopmund is famous for sandboarding, sky diving, quad biking and paragliding), and authentic wildlife experiences. This is the only place on earth to see the remarkable desert elephant and desert rhino, and Etosha National Park has a good variety of game.
Namibia: when to visit
As Namibia does not experience such extreme swings in temperature / humidity / rainfall as much of the rest of Africa, you can choose to visit just about any month of the year.
Having said that, the best time to visit for a Namibia Holiday, much like the rest of safari Africa, is during the dry season, from June to October. At this time the weather is cooler and drier, the grasses and foliage are sparser, and the game concentrates around water holes, resulting in a better game viewing experience. The air is clear and star-gazing is at its peak. Temperatures begin to rise in September, and by October the weather is generally quite hot.
Namibia: some background
Formerly known as German South-West Africa, and then South West Africa, Namibia attained independence from South Africa in 1990 and has remained stable ever since. Its human history of the last century was shaped around diamonds, the discovery of which in 1908 prompted an influx of Europeans, particularly Germans as Namibia was at that time a German colony. Show me more >