With its sunny climate, golden desert sands and abundant history, art and ancient wonders dating back to the days of the Pharaohs, Egypt is an exotic and fascinating destination at any time of the year.
Our top 5 reasons to visit Egypt
1. Just like everywhere else, Egypt is changing and modernising. We love Egypt just the way it is – slightly haphazard, disarmingly beautiful – and would urge you to visit this authentic and culturally rich country, before further modernisation inevitably smooths the edges of its charm.
2. This list could not be complete without mention of the Pyramids! These tombs of Egypt’s past kings are some of the oldest and most miraculous structures still standing; the Pyramid of Djoser was constructed in 2630BC!
3. The markets are fantastic, and in fact just getting immersed in the bustling way of life is one of our favourite things about Egypt. Egyptians are incredibly hospitable and will welcome you warmly wherever you go.
4. Egypt’s Red Sea Coast has some of the best beaches, and is the gateway to some of the best diving in the world. But choose your accommodation carefully – there are some pretty vibrant party spots which you may wish to either head for or avoid!
5. Value for money. Egypt is a budget-friendly destination, and we’ll help you get you the very best value for your budget, whether it’s a luxury trip with all the bells and whistles or a simple cruise down the Nile and beach holiday.
Egypt: when to visit
Summer in Egypt (June to August) is absolutely scorching, with unrelenting sunshine and temperatures of 35 degrees upwards. This is not the time to visit Egypt with kids, or if you’re heading out to the desert. However, Egypt’s heat is dry rather than humid, so it’s not as unbearable as it could be - this could be a good time to visit if you’re just heading to the coast to enjoy the beach (remember the sun screen!).
We think the best time to visit Egypt (and peak season) is from October to May, when temperatures are a little cooler and more pleasant.
Egypt: what to see
We have put together an itinerary which includes the very best of what Egypt has to offer - you can find it here. This best of Egypt trip costs $5,260 per person. Although we tailor-make all of our itineraries, there is not a huge amount of good quality accommodation options, so the reality is you are limited to a few hotels which we have compiled into this itinerary for you to browse.
The fertile Nile River Valley showcases millennia-old monuments including Giza’s vast Pyramids and enigmatic Sphinx, and the hieroglyph-lined Karnak Temple and Valley of the Kings tombs in Luxor. These all offer a fascinating insight into one of the world’s most remarkable ancient civilisations, our understanding of which is still developing to this day.
The ancient pyramids are a short drive from the centre of Cairo, the capital city and a truly inspiring gateway to Africa. The Valley of the Kings and numerous great temples around Luxor, and the temples at Edfu and Kom Ombo are well worth visiting on the way down into the Nubian lands around Aswan. This southern town provides a quiet and scenic point from which to explore the World Heritage ‘Nubian Treasures’, between here and Abu Simbel.