Mauritius holidays are what many people imagine when they picture a classic Indian Ocean island with white sand beaches, set to a backdrop of sugar cane fields and lush green mountains. It has a fabulous range of top-end luxury hotels, from chic and elegant to full-on bling with the whole gamut of facilities and amenities, to suit almost every traveller. This is a country of spas and sommeliers, where the art of hospitality is highly valued and where multi-starred hotels vie to out-do each other.
Our top 5 reasons to visit Mauritius
1. The top reason to visit Mauritius has to be its spectacular sweeping white sand beaches, lapped by azure waters. Beach lovers need look no further for their next destination.
2. For families with children, Mauritius is fantastic. Kids’ Clubs are a staple of most resorts in Mauritius, and the standard is high. From little ones to teenagers, Mauritius has it sorted, making sure kids are active, entertained and making friends.
3. Mauritius tends towards sophisticated, glamorous five star hotels, rather than Robinson-Crusoe-style 'barefoot luxury'; however, it is surprisingly adept at producing accommodation to suit a wide range of budgets. In particular, it offers much better value than much of mainland Africa. Don’t assume it’s out of your league! With a wide range of styles of accommodation, however, it's important to choose your accommodation carefully.
4. Activities are definitely one of Mauritius’ strengths. Skydiving, glass-bottomed boat trips, windsurfing, kitesurfing, scuba diving, nature trails plus much, much more – there is no excuse for getting bored on a Mauritius beach holiday!
5. Mauritius is a French-speaking country (although it has no official language) which we feel adds to its exotic flavour, however they speak English everywhere too so you don’t need to bring along your phrasebook.